Join the SYG Family
SYG is always looking for experienced Support Staff to join our team!
WHY WORK AT SYG?
SYG is an established company that’s been in business for over 10 years.
Every member of the Starboard Yacht Group staff is a trained professional in yacht maintenance.
The Starboard Team goes above and beyond the standards set by their competitors by seeking higher individual qualifications, providing detailed in-house training for all staff and adhering to a strict ethical code of conduct for all employees. The end result is more efficient service, happier customers and safer, better-maintained boats.
We offer competitive salary ranges and benefits
Be part of our family! At SYG, every employee is considered family.
WHO WE ARE:
Established since 2008, SYG have a commitment to provide our customers with the highest level of professionalism and expertise for our yacht maintenance, repair, and refit services. Starboard Yacht Group specializes in outfitting vessels with the most innovative technology the industry has to offer to increase enjoyment, safety and pleasure on the water such as Seakeeper stability, eliminating boat roll one boat at a time. Our passion for yachting and full service repair and refits is tailored to our customers’ needs around their yachts next upgrade to make it better than new. We live by the following values, and we are always looking for new team members who can share them.
- The truth is always the right answer (We uphold the highest standards of integrity in all of our actions)
- Show we care (We are not just coworkers, we are family)
- Give it our all (We uphold the highest industry standards/ We get the job done…good)
- Driven to learn (We are constantly educating ourselves to provide our customers the best and newest technologies)
- We make the impossible happen (We work hard to satisfy customers’ wants and needs)
- Think forward (Passion is at the heart of our company. We are continuously moving forward, innovating, and improving)
PERKS & BENEFITS
The Starboard Team goes above and beyond the standards set by their competitors by seeking higher individual qualifications, providing detailed in-house training for all staff and adhering to a strict ethical code of conduct for all employees. The end result is more efficient service, happier customers and safer, better-maintained boats. We offer competitive salary ranges and benefits.
- Work for an established company
- Medical benefits
- Opportunity to grow
*SYG is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
1. Boat Detailer
- This position is responsible for maintaining proper detailing standards for vessels, display and service
- Wash boats using cleaning solutions, water, cloths and brushes.
- Wipe down surfaces as appropriate.
- Vacuum interior of vessel to remove debris or dirt.
- Clean upholstery rugs, glass and other surfaces.
- Safely used all hand and power tools, including power washer, buffer, and grinder.
- Washing, waxing, and compounding yachts
- Keep equipment in good operating standards adhering to safety and maintenance standards
- Clean in and around the boats, prioritizing safety at all times.
- Perform final finish/detail on deliveries, in- stock and service vessels, including cleaning windows, upholstery, canvas, bilges, fiberglass and wood.
- Use of high-speed buffers and polishers to properly detail the exterior surfaces.
- Remove dust, grease and oil from exterior surfaces of boats.
- Inspect vessels for damage and note repairs to be done.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
2. Marine Engine & Hydraulics Foreman
We specialize in the repair and refit of yachts, the ideal candidate should be proficient in servicing and troubleshooting diesel and gasoline marine engines and related systems including sail-drives and propulsion equipment. Service and repair of hydraulic systems preferred but not required. Supervisory experience combined with a hands on background in yacht or ship repair, rigging, or construction is necessary. Good communication, organization and computer skills are helpful.
3. Marine Engineer/Mechanic
4. Marine Project Manager
5. Marine Diesel Mechanic
5+ years previous engine (marine or generator) experience
Previous experience with Detroit Diesel, MTU, Volvo, Cat, Cummins, Mitsubishi, GE, Yanmar, Scania, Kubota, John Deere diesel marine engines and generators
YOU MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE WORKING ON YACHTS/BOATS!!!!
Ability to walk quickly to/from job locations up to 1000 yards distance
Ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp, walk and lift up to 50 lbs are required.
6. Parts Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to Service Manager, Service Team, and customers
- Order, return, receive, and dispatch parts to appropriate department
- Process warranty claims
- Monitor purchasing trends
- Source new suppliers that are cost efficient and high quality
- Manage inventory as per Just in Time process (JIT)
- Encourage sales and act as a liaison with customers where appropriate
- Assign parts and purchases to the appropriate vessels/tickets
- Continuously meets ongoing company goals
- Available to work overtime when required
- Technical and Physical Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Prior marina or automotive experience preferred
- Previous management experience preferred
- Basic knowledge of marine systems preferred
- ABYC and/or engine manufacturer certification a plus
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service and an understanding of customers’ needs
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills while working both independently and within a team context
- Organizational skills are a must
- Detail oriented and ability to multitask are essential skills
- Eager to engage in a growing, fast paced, and industry-leading company
- Exceptional time management and problem solving skills
7. Fiberglass Specialist
Work must be of the highest international standards to meet Classification Society Requirements of ABS, Lloyds and the US Coast Guard. Our customers and employees need the full support of a detail oriented Marine Finish Painter with full working knowledge of various finishes such as varnish, shellac, and enamels. As a member of our fiberglass department, you must have a strong knowledge of mold making, lamination, lay-up, one-off parts manufacturing and general fiberglass repairs. Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to, repairing fiberglass cosmetic blemishes and major damages. In addition, taking responsibility, maintaining flexibility and safely performing multiple duties and tasks under stressful, potentially hazardous and fast-paced conditions while contributing to the success of the organization as a high-performing team member are all requirements to satisfactory meet your job expectations.
- Identify defects such as: cracks, blisters, stress fractures and cosmetic flaws.
- Estimate repair times, plan for materials, coordinate jobs with management
- Grind out defective areas, smooth rough edges/areas by using appropriate power or hand-tools.
- Prep fiberglass, resins, and damaged areas for repair.
- Shape and smooth edges to match contour properly.
- Mix Gel coat catalyst and spray or brush repaired surfaces; match colors.
- Buff and polish repaired surfaces.
- Overtime, nights and weekend work may be required as customer service needs fluctuate.
- Required Experience and Education:
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Vocational/Technical school high preferred.
- 3+ years’ experience within the marine industry.
- 3+ years experience working in fiberglass.
- Marine certification preferred but not required.
- Required Service & Interpersonal Skills:
- Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.
- Able to work independently at times and make sound decisions.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for help.
- The ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp and lift to 50 lbs. while working around moving machinery on a moving ship.
8. Yachts Electrical and/or Electronic Technician
We are looking for HIGHLY motivated, team players for our Navigation, Audio-Visual, Communication, Monitoring & Control, AC/DC Electrical systems departments. We are a well established local company that sells, services, installs and repairs equipment for a wide range of manufacturers, in all electrical, navigation, communication, audio visual, monitoring and control, and more, on boats.
Job requirements includes but is not limited to:
- Experience with complex yacht systems. Programming, installation, troubleshooting.
- Marine Certified with 3+ years experience on Yachts in one of the following fields: marine electrical, electronic, communication,
- Audio Visual installation and troubleshooting. (ABYC or NMEA Certified a must).
- And/Or Electronics/Electrical Bachelor with excellent GPA. (still working on is fine, if well advanced).
- Must have good communication skills and the ability to implement instructions.
- Must be able to learn new skills and give instructions to others.
- Must be able to adapt to a fast paced and growing environment.
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Must be able to accurately read and understand technical documentation.
- Must be proficient with PC applications and knowledge of networking.
- Must be able to work inside and outside, on docked boats or boats on land.
- Must be able to work overtime during busy seasons.
- Must be able to travel if needed. Pay is commensurate with skills and experience.
9. Marine Repair Estimator
- Develop and administer labor hours, material and subcontract estimates for all proposals and work for the ship repair yard.
- Develop estimates based from customer supplied specifications, drawings and contract terms and standards.
- Track and manage project transaction guidelines to include but not be limited to:
- Margins, milestones, deliverables and invoicing.
- Present above information to appropriate departments within the facility.
- Monitor and negotiate growth and assist the production team as needed.
- Journeyman or Bachelors Degree and/or 6+ years of shipyard estimating experience.
- Experience as an Officer, Port Engineer or Repair Supervisor are acceptable prior work titles.
- Experience with NAVSEA Standard Items
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, manage time effectively and identify work priorities in an ever changing environment
- Ability to write reports and business correspondences
- Possess working knowledge of Shipyard production processes
- Must know MS Word, Excel and Outlook. Project is a strong plus
10. Naval Architect
- Developing new designs: concept arrangements, lines, engineering, specifications
- Work with customers to develop concept & arrangements
- Develop specifications for the project
- Establish basic characteristics of a ship, such as size, weight, and speed
- Develop lines to suit customer needs
- Develop basic structure, to be further developed in detail design phase
- Develop arrangements to suit customer’s requests, to include considerations for heating, ventilation and machinery layouts
- Developing purchase specifications
- Interaction with customer to develop, revise concept and arrangements
Qualifications And Education Requirements
B.S. in Naval Architecture
4+ years of design experience