A yacht is a source of pride and joy for many owners, but once your yacht starts to show its age, it can start to seem like an embarrassment. But just because your yacht is getting on in years, that doesn’t mean it can’t still gleam like new. All you need is to better understand some of your options for renovating your yacht and finding new boat parts in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Here are a few pointers for renovating your yacht, as well as some of the benefits of doing so.
- A good foundation is everything. Yachts can be renovated, but those renovations become a lot more intense if the core structure of the boat isn’t sound and secure. Being confident in your yacht’s skeleton is key. If it doesn’t have good bones to begin with, it might not be worth all the time and money spent renovating.
- Weigh cost versus value. A lot of yacht owners choose to renovate their yachts in hopes of catching a better price when it comes time to sell it. That’s a smart move, provided the money you’ll be putting into it won’t outweigh the resulting increase in value. Study up on costs and values before committing to any renovations. This is also true for buyers looking for a “fixer-upper” yacht. Make sure the seller is up front with you about how much work the boat really needs, and ask to see documents from a licensed yacht surveyor.
- A little bit goes a long way. Even if your yacht is running well, chipped paint and a tarnished exterior can take a big chunk off its resale value. Don’t ever underestimate the power of bright and shiny new things. If you’re going to do one renovation before selling your yacht, make it something visual.
- Electrical systems can be tricky. If your yacht has passed through multiple owners, there’s a good chance the electrical system has gotten tangled up at some point by previous owners trying to do their own repairs for cheap. If your wire system looks more like a rat’s nest than a sleek, organized piece of work, then it might be smarter to replace than to try to repair. Since the electrical system is one of the most integral parts of your boat, it’s best to get a professional contractor’s help with this one.
- Pay close attention to leaks. New yacht buyers as well as seasoned yacht owners might be tempted to ignore leaks if they seem like only minor cosmetic issues. But when it comes time to renovate your boat, water damage can make any work more difficult, more time consuming, and more expensive. The sooner you can fix a leak, the better.
There’s a lot to know about yacht renovations and new boat parts in Fort Lauderdale, FL, but hopefully this handy information can help get you started on your own renovation journey. To learn more about the process and benefits of boat renovations, feel free to call Starboard Yacht Group LLC today.
Categorised in: Yacht Maintenence