If you’re a full-time boat owner, the concept of maintenance isn’t lost on you. Boat ownership is 80 percent maintenance! From maintaining the engine, to cleaning upholstery, to stripping and waxing the hull, just about every part of your boat needs some TLC.
Waxing your boat’s hull is among the most important maintenance items you’ll be tasked with as a boat owner. It makes sense. Your hull is susceptible to water, sun and the other elements, and is the single largest part of your boat. Keeping it in tip-top shape is at the top of the priority list, and waxing does the job.
The next time your boat is due for waxing, take a moment to remember why it’s such an important facet of yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL before you put it off:
- First and foremost, a freshly waxed hull is going to offer optimal marine protection. Wax protects against corrosion and chemical breakdown from salt, as well as against barnacles and other organic buildups that can cling to the hull below the surface of the water. It’ll keep your paint job looking pristine by staving off the number one detractor of weathering: water.
- UV damage is also near the top of the list of concerns for your boat’s integrity. Wax protects against UV light and, as a result, prevents the molecular breakdown of paint and fiberglass that can occur with prolonged UV exposure. Want to see the real damage UV light can cause? Take a look at what it can do to your upholstery over the years! Preventing this same level of damage to your hull is as easy as waxing it regularly.
- Want to throttle down and really get the current flowing behind you? Waxing your boat helps reduce drag and improve your glide in the water. This can also work to improve the fuel economy of your boat and save you a few bucks when it comes to filling up for a day out on the water.
- Got hull decals, pin striping or graphics on your boat? Wax is the foremost protector of these images and will prevent wear and tear from reaching them. Spending the time waxing your boat means not having to spend the time scraping off damaged decals, painting and reapplying new decals.
- Finally, maintenance is all about preventing the need for repairs and the costs that come with them. The more diligent you are about waxing your hull, the better you’re going to position yourself for avoiding repairs through proper maintenance. Waxing protects your hull, which means saving on repair costs for an improperly protected vessel.
It may be tempting to skip yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL—especially if your boat appears to be in good visual condition. Don’t be fooled, however. Routine waxing should never be skipped, and it’s easy to see why with all of the benefits that come with it. Be sure to stay up to date on your waxing, or let the professionals at Starboard Yacht Group LLC do it for you.
Categorised in: Yacht Maintenence