Thinking ahead to the holidays already? If you’re like us, you’re probably itching to have some time off and get out on the waters. Many boat owners in the Fort Lauderdale area use their time over the holidays to take multiple-day excursions out to places like the Bahamas and other nearby destination spots. Of course, before you go out for a multi-day trip, it’s important you perform some basic planning and yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Here are some tips that will make your holiday trip much more enjoyable:
- Plan thoroughly: Even if you have a clear destination in mind, you should make sure you do some research ahead of time so you know what to expect on the water during the dates you’ll be visiting. Will there be a lot of boat traffic? Is there a huge fishing event happening on a particular day that you’ll have to contend with? As the date gets closer, what does the weather look like? These are all things you’re going to want to consider.
- Fuel: You should know the mileage your boat gets in average conditions and at cruising speed, and based on that information figure out where you can stop for fuel. Make sure you’ve planned well enough that you give yourself some margin for error with regard to where you choose to fuel up, so you’re not left stranded on the water.
- Overnights: If your intention is to stay at marinas or anyplace else where you need to anchor your boat, make sure you call ahead in advance and make reservations. This is especially important during the holiday season, when there are going to be a lot more people who are out on the water and looking to make reservations at the same places you are. In addition, you should always have a backup plan in place, even if you do have reservations.
- Tune-ups: Even if you’ve used your boat recently, you should still give it a tune-up before you go on any kind of lengthy excursion. You can either do this yourself or hire a technician to come in and take care of it for you.
- Double check everything: You should always exercise caution when using your boat and performing maintenance checks, but this becomes especially important when you’re going to be out on a long-distance trip. Double check every single aspect of your boat’s maintenance and condition to make sure it’s in good enough condition for you to stay comfortable and safe.
- Gear up: Make sure you’re fully stocked with all the essentials, including safety items like first aid supplies and life jackets, as well as food and water, extra gas and anything else you might find you’ll need on your trip.
For more information about how you can prepare yourself and your boat for a longer trip over the holiday season, contact Starboard Yacht Group LLC about getting yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL. We look forward to serving you!
Categorised in: Yacht Maintenence