Boat hull maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL is one of those basic tasks of boat ownership that no one seems to particularly enjoy. Cleaning off annoying water stains and lines from the bottom of your boat is a chore even in the best of circumstances, and worse if marine life has decided to make your hull their new home.
If your boat ends up with a bunch of barnacles, kelp and other marine life hanging around, your precious investment could suffer big problems. These pests cause your engine to overheat, slow down your progress in the water and can even damage your navigation equipment. If you don’t want to be faced with expensive cleaning and repair bills, it’s crucial to maintain your boat regularly, including hull cleaning. Here’s how to safely and effectively keep your boat clean—but if you’d rather leave it to the professionals, Starboard Yacht Group LLC can help!
Boat hull cleaning supplies in Fort Lauderdale, FL come in two varieties: cosmetic cleaning and maintenance equipment. The cosmetic tools are good for quick, regular maintenance, while the heavier duty tools will help you keep your boat in good shape:
- Boat hull scraper: This is a cheap and easy-to-use tool that allows you to scrape off barnacles and other small marine life. You’ll need to wear a snorkel and get in the water to perform this maintenance task, but you’ll find that the scraper makes quick work of it. Make sure to have someone nearby in case you get into trouble underwater.
- Boat hull rotary brush: If you’re not interested in getting into the water to clean, this long-handled rotary brush allows you to stand on the dock and give your underwater hull a scrub. It helps keep barnacles and algae off the hull, but it takes a lot more elbow grease than a scraper. There are also electric versions of rotary brushes that do require you to get in the water, and depending on the size of your boat, may require that you use a scuba tank to get the whole job done. However, they’re extremely effective in doing their job.
- C-pole boat brush: If you don’t want to get in the water or off your boat, this curved brush makes it easy for you to scrub down your hull straight from your boat deck. It’s best for dirt, however—you won’t have enough barnacle-removing power to make a difference there.
- Pressure washers: Power washing isn’t just for sidewalks and buildings—it can be an effective way to clean your boat hull, too. However, bear in mind that these loud systems may not be well-received by your marina neighbors.
- Divers: Finally, if none of these options sounds good to you, you can always hire professional divers to clean your hull.
Starboard Yacht Group LLC provides comprehensive boat care and maintenance services, including boat hull maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL. If you want someone to take the hassle out of boat cleaning and care, call us today to get started.
Categorised in: Yacht Maintenence