Keeping your boat clean improves its performance, preserves its value and boosts its aesthetic appeal, so it’s worth it to invest in regular care, cleaning and maintenance. Unfortunately, a lot of boat owners don’t know how to properly care for or maintain a boat. The good news is that there are a few key cleaning tips for boaters that can simplify and improve their approach to boat maintenance. Read on to learn more about caring for your boat and how to prep for boat cleaning in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Boat cleaning tips
Boat cleaning tips in Fort Lauderdale, FL can help you ensure that your boat remains in the best condition possible. Here is how to properly clean the various parts, systems and components on your boat:
- Livewells: Livewells can be a host for bacteria and mildew development that produces unpleasant odors and leads to problems for your boat. Clean out your livewell with a non-toxic product like baking soda or a gentle cleaning solution. Use an abrasive brush or sponge to scrub away grime and residue from your livewell.
- Boat consoles: Boat consoles can be cleaned relatively easily using an all-purpose cleaner that works on plastic and glass, like Windex. All you need to clean your console is a wet sponge. Follow it up by drying with a clean cloth.
- Vinyl boat seats: Keep your boat seats clean using vinyl cleaning products that offer UV protection to prevent color fading and damage from sun exposure. To address mold development in vinyl seats, use a mildew remover product for a thorough clean that restores the appearance of your seats.
- Boat bilges: Bilges are often the dirtiest parts of boats. Grime, dirt, sludge and oil residue can be cleaned using a commercial bilge cleaner. Commercial bilge cleaning products are designed to cut through tough grime and get rid of lingering odors.
- Carpets: Boat carpets get plenty of traffic, so it’s important to spend some time on carpet cleaning. Vacuums and carpet shampooers can be used to clean the floor of your boat to ensure a safer and more pleasant environment.
- Outboard boat engines: Outboard boat engines often accumulate grime and oil. Use a degreaser product and an abrasive brush to scrub away grime. Rinse the outside of the motor using a hose to wash away residual oil and cleaning product.
- Hull: The hull is one of the parts of your boat that’s most likely to get dirty, due to its constant exposure to weather conditions, including UV rays and precipitation. There are lots of different cleaning products on the market that can be used to clean boat hulls, so shop around for the product that’s right for you. It’s also important to invest in boat wax to preserve your boat’s hull.
Learn how to prep for boat cleaning
If you’re looking for professional help with boat cleaning in Fort Lauderdale, FL, reach out to Starboard Yacht Group LLC. We offer a wide range of yacht services, including comprehensive cleaning, detailing and maintenance, to preserve the performance and appearance of your boat. With years of experience serving customers, our team is capable of providing services designed to meet your particular needs. Find out more about what we have to offer by giving our team a call today.
Categorised in: Yacht Cleaning