For yacht owners, the down season doesn’t have to be boring. You can perform a wide variety of maintenance and cleaning tasks while your boat is out of the open water. Fall and winter are actually some of the best times of the year to schedule yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale. Scheduling assistance from a professional and knowledgeable team is the best way to ensure that your boat is ready to take to the seas as soon as the weather clears up once again.
If you are hoping to schedule some preventative winter maintenance for your yacht, there are several steps that you can take to ensure that your boat is in tip-top shape before you know it. While you are waiting for your winter appointment for yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale to roll around, here are some of the things that you can do:
- Drain the pipes: Pipes that have water sitting in them unused for long periods of time can corrode and degrade quickly. Drain your plumbing before storing your boat for the offseason, and ensure that there is no extraneous fluid within your piping.
- Check the bilges: You should examine your bilge pumps and water tanks to ensure that they are both functioning properly before winterizing your boat. It’s also important to drain as much wastewater as possible out of your bilge system prior to storage.
- Wash down all surfaces: Accumulated salt can damage surfaces very easily, especially when your boat is left unattended. While you are waiting for your winter yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, hose down your boat’s surfaces with fresh water.
- Check your safety gear: Winterizing your boat is a great time to examine its safety gear. You should check your floatation devices, and ensure that they are in working condition. Additionally, you should examine your fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Take out the batteries: Ensure that all batteries in your boat are removed prior to storing it for the season. Batteries can corrode easily when they are exposed to salty air, especially when they are not being used. It may be wise to clean your battery terminals.
- Remove personal items: Pillowcases, clothing, blankets and more should all be taken out of your boat prior to your winter yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale. Cloth and other personal items can mold very quickly in cool, damp air.
Hiring a qualified professional to examine your boat’s engine, structural integrity and mechanical systems is the best way to ensure that you will be able to spend the entire summer season enjoying the salt air. Scheduling yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale for the winter can help you keep your boat ship-shape!
Starboard Yacht Group LLC is the premier provider of yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale. Our helpful and knowledgeable boating professionals can assist you with a wide range of offseason needs, including preventative maintenance and repairs. Make sure that you don’t miss out on a single second of summer sun by scheduling your boat’s maintenance today!