As most boaters will tell you, buying a yacht is the best purchase they’ve ever made. There’s no better way to enjoy the Florida sea and sunshine than out on your private yacht. However, it’s important to note that owning a boat isn’t all fun and games—there is some yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL required to ensure you can enjoy your boat to the fullest extent possible.
Continue reading to learn some of the required maintenance that you or a professional will need to perform:
- Cleaning: Your yacht needs to be cleaned regularly to ensure proper functionality and prevent algae and barnacle buildup. Wipe down all surfaces after each boating adventure and thoroughly clean the hull at least once every two weeks.
- Engine, drivetrain and generator: Just like with a car, a yacht needs an inspection and maintenance service once a year. During this service, a professional will check the engine, transmission, generator and all other necessary aspects of the yacht. Winter is a great time to schedule this service.
- Air conditioning: You’ll need to have your air conditioner serviced to keep it running on those hot summer days. Flushing out the lines once every six months will help prevent buildup and ensure the AC keeps you nice and cool.
- Fuel: Saltwater can wreak havoc on many parts of your yacht, especially the fuel system. To keep the system corrosion free, you’ll need to drain the tank and replace the fuel filters every few months. Additionally, always be sure you’re using the correct fuel for your engine.
- Electrical systems: The electrical components on a yacht can come loose fairly easily. Test out all lights and switches on your boat every few weeks. You’ll also want to make a habit of testing the battery to ensure it’s at full capacity and free of corrosion.
Why hire a pro to maintain your yacht?
For boaters who like to get their hands dirty, yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL can be a fun part of owning a boat. But for those who don’t enjoy that hard work, we recommend hiring our crew at Starboard Yacht Group, LLC. Here are the top reasons to bring in the pros:
- Save money: Hiring a team of professionals to maintain your yacht can be more cost-effective than doing it yourself. You’ll never have to spend money on expensive tools, cleaning supplies or any other DIY maintenance items.
- Prevent breakdowns: Professional yacht maintenance teams know exactly what they’re doing when they work on your boat. While performing their maintenance tasks, they’ll check all components and replace broken ones before your boat runs into issues on the water.
- Enjoy more time on the water: You bought your yacht to spend time on the water, not at the dock cleaning and maintaining it! Bringing in the pros ensures you can spend more time boating and less time on maintenance items.
Even if you don’t use your vessel as much in the winter, yacht maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL must be a year-round activity. Call our pros at Starboard Yacht Group, LLC today to get a quote for all of our boat care services.