Boat upholstery is designed to take a lot of use and abuse. It is, after all, exposed to a barrage of harsh elements at virtually all times. Boat upholstery is exposed to the damaging ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun, the whipping wind, endless moisture and the corrosive salt air of the open ocean.
Even the best types of upholstery are liable to degrade given the onslaught of conditions that face boat upholstery in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Learning how to care for and maintain your yacht’s upholstery will allow you to make the most of your boat’s original beauty and help you avoid costly upholstery replacements.
The best boat upholstery is both durable and comfortable. If you’re concerned about damaging your boat’s upholstered surfaces by caring for or cleaning them incorrectly, don’t hesitate to reach out for professional assistance. Reupholstering your boat can be a challenging and expensive endeavor, and it’s often more cost-effective to simply rely on a professional for help.
Here are just a few tips to bear in mind regarding boat upholstery maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL:
- Clean mildew: Mold and mildew feed off of upholstery, causing permanent damage. You should do your best to keep your boat’s upholstery moisture-free, so as to prevent the propagation of mold and mildew. If you notice that there’s mildew growing on your boat’s upholstery, however, you should do your best to remove it as soon as possible.
- Remove salt: Salt is corrosive, which means that it will eventually eat into the fabric or vinyl that makes up your boat’s upholstery. It may also corrode the metals that hold up the seats themselves. Do your best to clean all of the salt off your boat’s interior on a regular basis.
- Repair rips and tears: Even the smallest rips and tears in your upholstery can cause tremendous amounts of damage. Be sure to quickly address any rips that may have formed on your boat’s seating and upholstery. This will keep it looking great for years to come.
- Cover when possible: The sun is one of the greatest enemies of your boat’s upholstery. You should cover the upholstery with a tarp whenever possible—this will protect it from harmful UV rays, and keep it from bleaching and wearing thin. Covering can also reduce moisture exposure.
- Use a protective spray: Many companies sell specially formulated sprays designed to protect boat upholstery in Fort Lauderdale, FL. You should treat your boat’s upholstery with a spray like this at least twice each year. Doing so will help retain your upholstery’s water-repellent and UV light-resistant properties, and keep it in prime condition.
Since 2008, Starboard Yacht Group LLC has been a trusted provider of boat upholstery maintenance in Fort Lauderdale, FL. We offer a comprehensive range of boat care and maintenance solutions to our customers. If you’re looking for someone to assist you with maintaining your yacht or other watercraft, look no further than Starboard Yacht Group LLC. Reach out to one of our friendly representatives today to learn more.